Applicants from
Australia and New Zealand

If you are from Australia or New Zealand and are looking to teach in the UK, you have come to the right place. We want to give you that extra help that you may need to start a career in teaching over the other side of the world, opening you up to new opportunities.

There is a high demand for overseas teachers in London and you could become one of them!

Sign Up Today

to keep upto date with all the latest vacancies and latest news


Apply to teach in the UK

Here at Reeson we recognise that teaching in London will give you the chance to experience new cultures, travel Europe and open doors to new adventures and activities. It will also help to boost your career, giving you a wide range of teaching skills and broaden your knowledge, exploring different teaching methods and education structures.

On the road to teaching in London

As you are a trained teacher from outside of the UK you must apply for a QTS via an online application form. This process must be undertaken so that your qualifications can be assessed to make sure that they reach the UK’s requirements. You may also be subject to a provide a criminal information check.

If you are qualified as a Maths or Physics teacher you may be at great advantage as these subjects said to be a ‘shortage occupations’ therefore, you may find it easier to get a sponsorship.

The UK School Curriculum is a new concept that differs to the teaching curriculum followed in Australia and New Zealand. Take a look at our UK School System article for further details.

Making the move from Australia or New Zealand to London

If you are looking to work in the UK for longer than six months you will need to apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa that costs £230 so that you are able to work and live in the UK for up to two years.

The starting wage of a teaching role in London is £28,098 even though this lower than the starting wage as a newly qualified teacher in Australia and New Zealand, the overall cost of living and entertainment is lower.

Take a look at the breakdown and comparison of living costs between London and Australia and New Zealand.

For more in depth information on the likes of accommodation and travel, take a look at our UK Living Costs article.

Flights from Sydney to London one way start from £421.00 with one stop along the way.

Flights from Auckland to London one way start from £483.00 with two stops.

When setting up a bank account in the UK you will need to provide two documents for proof of identity which will be asked for at your chosen bank before setting up the account. We recommend that you take your passport and a document stating proof of your address.

You will need to apply for a National Insurance number(NI) when working in the UK which you can register for once you are in the UK at your local jobcentre.

It is advised that you apply for a European Health Insurance card to make sure that you are covered for any treatment you may need while living in the UK.

We hope this has given you all you need to know before you make the move, however comment below if you would like any further information.

Take a look at our London teaching jobs.

Apply to teach in the UK from Australia and New Zealand

UK schools are also looking for Teachers from…

Looking for more information on living and teaching in the UK?

What is needed to teach in the UK?

Read Article

UK Living Costs

Read Article

UK School System

Read Article

CV Advice for teaching in the UK

Read Article