Early Years Teaching Assistant (Maternity Cover)
Required for January 2023
Competitive salary and conditions are offered.
Interviews will take place asap.
Responsible To: Class Teacher and Head of Lower Prep
Applications invited from qualified, dynamic and enthusiastic Teaching Assistants to support the learning of lower prep pupils. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a flourishing, innovative environment.
Aim of the Job:
Small children require a great deal of adult input during their first year at school. All Lower Prep classes have a full-time assistant working under the direction of the class teachers, to ensure the children have the maximum level of support and teaching during their first year at school.
Under the direction of the Class teacher and/or Head of Lower School, to support pupils (including those with special educational needs), within school in order to facilitate their access to a broad and balanced curriculum. To assist the class teacher in providing a stimulating educational environment in which all pupils can achieve their potential.
- Helping pupils to learn as effectively as possible both in group sessions and individually by:
- Being punctual for lessons
- Clarifying and explaining instructions
- Ensuring that they are able to use equipment and materials provided
- Motivating and encouraging as required
- Assisting in weaker areas eg. Language, behaviour, numeracy, literacy, presentation
- Meeting physical needs whilst encouraging independence
- Establishing a supportive relationship with the pupils in order to promote/ reinforce their self-esteem
- Reinforcing the learning principles being introduced by the teacher
- Promoting personal and social development and citizenship skills
- Providing regular feedback about pupils to the class teacher.
- Assisting class teachers (and other professional staff) in the development of suitable programmes of support (Provision Maps) for pupils who need learning support.
- Contributing towards the planning, monitoring, evaluation and record keeping of individual record plans.
- Participating in lesson, planning and annual review meetings of individual pupils.
- Having an awareness of confidential issues linked to home/pupil/teacher/ school work and to keep confidences appropriately.
- Attending relevant in-service training (Inset).
- Developing a knowledge of learning support needs over the range of pupils supported.
- Carrying out other general duties consistent with assisting teachers such as:
- Assist the teacher in the morning, setting up the classroom. Ensuring resources are ready, such as pencils being sharp or laying out workbooks.
- Check the homework diaries and change the reading books.
- Ensuring the reading trolley is tidy each day
- Sharing responsibility with the teacher for collecting the children from the playground (all staff are expected on the playground regardless of what lesson is next to help with lining up), delivery of them to the specialist lessons and serving drinks and biscuits.
- Tidying up the classroom at the end of the day during dismissal time. Check for left items, tuck in chairs, check the bookshelf is tidy and ensure resources such as pencils are ready for the next day.
- Run Late rooms promptly, maintain a Late room register and to ensure children are safe and dismissed appropriately
Undertake such other duties as may be required to meet the needs of the service.
Please apply to be shortlisted for this role. Alternatively, please call Carl at Reeson Education on 0203 841 0777
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.
Please note that all daily/hourly rates quoted are inclusive of holiday pay at 12.07%