Head of Maths
January 2022 start
A Top London Independent Boys Prep school are looking to appoint a well-qualified, engaging and inspirational Head of Maths teacher who will also lead this important Faculty. The person appointed will oversee teaching and learning in Maths from Reception up to and including Year 8. Heads of Faculty, are senior middle leaders, and meet regularly to share good practice and contribute to academic policy-making throughout the school. The post will be attractive to someone seeking relevant whole school experience before moving on to an Assistant Headship or Deputy Head position.
The Head of Maths should be prepared to teach all year groups although in practice most of the Maths teaching from Reception to Year 3 is undertaken by class teachers. A number of pupils are prepared each year to sit for scholarship papers at schools such as Eton, Westminster and St Paul's. The Head of Maths role is crucial in ensuring all pupils are equipped with the knowledge and skills required for success in entrance papers. In addition to line managing a full-time Maths teacher, the Head of Maths will liaise closely with class teachers in the lower school (Junior House) ensuring the curriculum is fit for purpose.
We welcome applications from colleagues currently serving in maintained or independent schools. The overriding priority is to appoint someone with a track record of outstanding learning outcomes and an educational vision that always puts pupils first.
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience.
Hours of work: 35 hours per week, 8.30am until 4.30pm.
Start Date: January 2022
This is an Independent Prep school catering for boys aged 4 - 13.
The school operates a two-form entry with approximately 20 pupils in each class from Reception up to and including Year 6.
The school has achieved 'Excellent' in all categories of the ISI full-school inspection in 2019 - the school is now pursuing an ambitious development plan incorporating digital literacy with outstanding academic, pastoral and co-curricular provision.
Main Purpose of the Head of Maths Job:
- Have a detailed knowledge of the Maths curriculum, including knowledge of the skills necessary for successful entrance to Senior Schools at 11+ and 13+, including scholarship examinations;
- Oversee the teaching of Maths from Reception through to Year 8, including regularly reviewing schemes of work and ensuring that colleagues are teaching Maths in accordance with high quality planning and delivery expectations;
- Ensure continuity and progression through (and between) each year group;
- Evaluate pupils' progress, achievement and attainment through detailed record keeping, intervening where necessary;
- Be a proactive participant in regular Heads of Faculty meetings, contributing positively to discussions and acting on agreed action points;
- Establish good relationships, encourage good working practices and support and lead teachers in the Faculty;
- Oversee all aspects of the Faculty organisation and management, in order to ensure that school policies and practices are being delivered;
- Work with the SEN Department to ensure that every boy is able to access the curriculum and make progress in line with his ability;
- Chair regular Faculty meetings with colleagues teaching Maths
- Complete and update on an annual basis all relevant risk assessments and departmental health and safety policies, and ensure circulation to department;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Considerable experience in ensuring excellent student outcomes in Maths, including 'value added'
- Excellent subject knowledge in Maths, including stretching and challenging high achievers.
- A 'Can do' attitude: drive, enthusiasm and energy and a willingness to go 'above and beyond' to ensure all students achieve.
- Ability to maximise and develop subject knowledge, pedagogy and professionalism of colleagues.
- Previous experience in a Head of Department role.
- Knowledge of the Independent sector, including preparing students for success at 11+ and 13+.
- Experience in co-curricular activities, including preparing students for external competitions and enrichment activities.
To apply for this attractive Head of Maths position please do not delay in sending across an updated CV to Bonnie at REESON Education ASAP. Shortlisting is taking place prior to the October Half term. Due to an expected large number of applicants only successful candidates will be contacted.
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.