An Outstanding School in Central London, Tower Hamlets are looking to appoint a Learning Mentor or Coordinator of Independent Learning to head up and promote good practice for independent study with their sixth form.
Learning Mentor for Key Stages 5, - East London
- £19,655 - £24,688 per year
- Permanent full time contract with Inner London Weighting
- Outstanding leadership team
Learning Mentor for Key Stage 5
The School - East London
- OFSTED outstanding school with a culture of high expectations based on our Values.
- Ranked in the top 120 schools for progress at KS4 and have an ALPs score of 3, making them best performing sixth form for progress in East London.
- The vast majority of our students progress onto top universities including Oxford and Cambridge.
- One of the best attendance and behaviour figures in the local authority.
- Continually striving to improve.
- Students are proud of their school and have extremely supportive parents/carers and governors.
Purpose of Learning Mentor
- Have oversight of the quiet study area (ILC) and coordinate an effective mentoring timetable/programme which meets the needs of all sixth form students
- Mentor identified students to raise achievement /attainment
- Work alongside the librarian to ensure the ILC is staffed at all times
Strategic Planning/Operational role of Learning Mentor
- Create a purposeful learning environment in the quiet study area (ILC)
- Work across the ILC and the Library
- Encourage students to work hard and make exceptional progress
- Ensure students focus on subjects studied, MOOCs, writing of UCAS statements, etc as designated on their timetables or the school calendar
- Monitor the effectiveness of these sessions and report back to subject teachers/Head of Sixth Form regarding progress or concerns
- Ensure that the ILC has purposeful learning taking place at all times
- Liaise with subject teachers and put in place an effective learning timetable for work in the ILC
- Use achievement data to monitor progress , identify areas of concern and put in place effective intervention strategies
- Provide individual or small group support to targeted students
- Meet regularly with the Head of Sixth Form to identify, discuss and target-set strategies to secure the progress and attainment of students
- Attend RAP/progress meetings and follow up on all actions
- Support students with the UCAS process
- Support the pastoral team in terms of induction, graduation and attendance and punctuality and behaviour issues
- Support the Head of Sixth with the PSHEE programme
- Ensure the study area corridor displays are current, neat and relevant
- Manage late detentions in the ILC at lunch times, keep a record of and follow up on non-attenders
- Support with public examinations when required
- Work with school librarian to ensure the ILC is staffed at all times
- Be available to work from 8.30am - 5pm and available for Parents/Carers Evenings, events and meetings
- Be able to pick up other reasonable duties as and when required to do so
- Be available for two weeks in the summer term to support staff with A Level/BTEC and GCSE results, enrolment and recruitment
Performance & Standards - Learning Mentor
- Quality of learning environment and ethos in the ILC
- To follow up on all absences from the ILC and establish a system of catch-up
- To keep accurate records of sessions, including, MOOCs, topics covered & tasks set
- To be observed during sessions as part of whole school monitoring programmes and for staff development purposes
- To liaise with parents and carers as appropriate
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.