Learning Support Assistant
- Special Needs Learning Support Assistant Required
- Experience of ASD, SLD or PMLD Welcomed
- Excellent Vacancies Brent
- Minimum 1 Year Assignment
- January 2020 Start
- £70 - £85 per day
- Interviews ASAP
We are currently working with a top SEN school which is looking to appoint SEN Learning Support Assistants to join their lovely Primary/Secondary SEN school in Brent NW London.
Special Needs Teaching Assistants support students with special educational needs (SEN) in the classroom as directed by an SEN teacher in order to help pupils succeed with their learning.
It takes a very special person to work with pupils with severe learning difficulties. Class sizes can be as small as 4/5 pupils and there is a high ratio of LSA support. SLD/PMLD schools have pupils with complex needs, there may be pupils with degenerative illnesses, those who are completely non-verbal and communicate using basic signing tools like Makaton or through a series of lights and clickers. There may be pupils at the high end of the autism spectrum or with Cerebral Palsy. Ability levels can vary considerably. You'll be working with other professionals within the school, e.g. a nurse, physiotherapist, speech and language therapist, etc.
Your duties as a Learning Support Assistant could include:
- Assisting with pupils' physical needs, including hygiene and feeding, as well as assisting with therapy sessions
- Helping with pupils' school work under the supervision of an SEN teacher
- Helping pupils increase their confidence, self-esteem and independence
- You will be responsible for promoting inclusion, working according to IEPs and advancing learning, allowing the children you will be working with to make positive progress by removing barriers to learning.
The successful candidate should:
- Have knowledge/interest and experience working with Autism/ASD, ADHD, SEMH, SLD, PMLD
- Be able to use positive reinforcement when supporting behaviour difficulties - working with pupils with ADHD this would be an advantage
- Be a patient and positive role model for children
- Knowledge of BSL, Makaton, Team Teach, SPELL/TEACCH would be an advantage.
If you feel that you meet the requirements for these vacancies then please submit your CV along with a brief supporting statement.