Fantastic Secondary School in Barnet seeks an organised and practical science graduate or science specialist to work as a Science Technician, starting in February 2024.
- Fantastic School, with great leadership
- 37% GCSE grades 9 - 7 (inc. Eng & Maths)
- 87% A Level grades A* - C
- Science Technician
- £21,169 - £27,365
- Fixed term contract, February 2024
School Vision - Science Technician
'Learning today: Leading tomorrow' underpins their vision for all members of their diverse, vibrant community.
To realise the vision they are determined to be;
- an inspirational, inclusive learning school, with the highest expectations, where each person is enabled to achieve their personal best
- a community and family centred school where they work in partnership to empower, support and prepare young women with the resilience to meet local, national and global challenges
- a safe happy school, appreciative of their natural environment that recognises and aims to meet the diverse educational, social, physical and emotional needs of every individual
- a reflective and responsive school where strong and inspiring leadership is promoted with students and staff at every opportunity
- they encourage each girl to develop a wide range of skills and interests, to achieve her personal best and to work co-operatively with consideration for all members of our learning community at all times.
The School aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for each pupil which will help her achieve her best, develop her confidence and encourage her to be a thoughtful and active member of society. They consider that their aims for their pupils are best achieved through a close partnership between school and home, and they work together with parents to ensure their daughter's success.
Job Role - Science Technician
- Responsible to the Head of Science for the technical service to the Science Faculty.
- Ensuring that the practical needs of the teaching staff are met in accordance with School schemes of learning.
- Working cohesively with a team of Science Technicians.
- Ensure that all science equipment is well maintained
- Stocktaking of resources within Science to ensure minimum stock levels
- Ensure that subject knowledge is up-to-date and any relevant training is attended.
- Supporting wider school activities such as open days etc
- Attend faculty meetings to brief staff on new equipment or practical ideas.
- Disposal and arranging for the disposal of waste laboratory materials including chemicals and biological waste in accordance with established laboratory procedures and the Borough's regulation.
- Remain up-to-date with the latest health and safety protocols with regards to hazardous materials.
- Responsible for the Science faculty's laboratories, preparation rooms, resources room and ancillary room.
- Resources: Ensuring that appropriate stock level of apparatus or material are maintained including maintaining stock records. Maintaining stock books including carrying out or arranging for stock checks.
- Placing and progressing orders, ensuring that expenditure is in accordance with department policy, checking or arranging for the checking of deliveries.
- Identifying equipment needs in consultation with teaching and technician staff and participating in the selection of new items of equipment.
- Organisation and storage of equipment, apparatus and materials including chemicals in accordance with the Borough's regulations where appropriate.
- Participating in the development of Science Faculty's practical and technical facilities to meet teaching/learning needs.
- Maintaining (including repair) and arranging for the maintenance and repair of Faculty apparatus and equipment.
- Ensuring the maintenance of laboratory services and facilities, liaising with the premises staff as appropriate.
- Preparing apparatus, material and solutions and setting up equipment and apparatus for use in practical classes.
- Setting up and on occasions carrying out demonstrations.
- Retrieving and cleaning away apparatus, etc, after use.
- Constructing and modifying apparatus.
- Ensuring that the practical requirements of practical examinations/assessments are met, including preparing, setting up and testing materials, apparatus and equipment. Attending practical examination pre-views.
- Ensuring that satisfactory standards of safety and security are maintained in accordance with School/Borough policy.
- Other appropriate technician duties as requested by the Head of Science.
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.
Please note that all daily/hourly rates quoted are inclusive of holiday pay at 12.07%