Annual Salary: £24,000 - £26,000
Start Date: 1st February
Contract Type: Full-time
Hours of Work: 37.5 Hours per week
Days of Work: 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday
Reeson Education are supporting an award-winning independent school based in Central London who require a Science Technician on a full-time basis from February 2022.
The school is a busy co-educational school situated in the heart of London overlooking Westminster and the River Thames.
The Principal is looking to invite enthusiastic and well-qualified Science Technicians with vision and expertise to support the school's dynamic science department starting as soon as possible.
Science Technician - Secondary School - Lambeth
Purpose of the post
- To provide technical support to the science teachers, contributing to the students' learning experience by assisting with the preparation of materials and apparatus for practical work, innovating and creating new equipment.
- Co-ordinate the use of practical resources in order to provide equipment, materials and solutions as requested by teaching staff.
- Maintain safety standards in relation to the provision of practical resources.
- Provide technical assistance and assist during practical lessons as required, particularly Chemistry and Biology (Physics desirable)
- Build, assemble and deliver items of apparatus for use in lessons and practical assessments.
- Maintain and service equipment as necessary to ensure it is always safe and in working order as well as liaising with external contacts to service equipment.
- Collecting, checking and returning equipment to stores in a timely manner.
- Assist in the maintenance of stock control of chemicals and equipment
- Prepare solutions accurately and dispose of waste laboratory chemicals in accordance with current regulations.
- Ensure that all laboratories, preparation rooms, equipment and resources are maintained to a clean and safe standard and are fully equipped. This will include the washing of glassware, handling and storage of radioactive materials and cleaning of benches and sinks.
- Operate systems for the management, control and storage of equipment, apparatus and chemicals in accordance with safety requirements.
- Trialling practical activities to ensure they are safe and work effectively to give the intended outcomes.
- Providing technical support to experienced and trainee teachers including health and safety guidance.
- Keep up to date with developments in practical science and health and safety requirements
- Carrying out health and safety checks on laboratories, prep rooms and stores.
A good understanding of laboratory safety is essential. Applicants would benefit from relevant previous experience and familiarity with the preparation and handling of chemicals and scientific equipment. Knowledge of recent curriculum developments at GCSE and A Level is highly desirable as is the ability to relate well to teenagers.
You will need to have:
- Strong practical and organisational skills with the ability to manage your own workload.
- Excellent scientific, technical and IT skills.
- Effective communication and team working skills.
- The ability to cope with competing demands.
- The ability to work using your own initiative.
- A degree in science related subject.
- Enthusiastic and aware of and sympathetic to the needs of 14-19-year-olds.
Reeson Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the core values of honesty, integrity, and excellence. We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
When you apply with Reeson Education, you get:
- Top rates of pay
- Professional support from our team of experienced consultants who offer guidance both pre and post placement
- CPD courses
- Ongoing access to the best and most exclusive future roles in London
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.