- Special Needs Teaching Assistant (SEN TA)
- Experience of ASD and MLD Required
- Excellent School in Zone 3 Barnet
- Minimum 1 Year Assignment
- September Start
- £70 - £85 per day
- Online Interviews ASAP
We are currently working with a fantastic friendly SEN school in Barnet which is looking to appoint an SEN TA to join a lovely key stage 4 MLD class from September. The school have been managing a move to a brand new site for September with brand new state of the art facilities alongside the obvious difficulties of the last few months. All of which has left the recruitment of an SEN TA for this lovely class down the agenda. This means however that they are very keen to make an appointment ASAP and are happy to make an appointment based on an online interview.
The SEN TA Job
Special Needs Teaching Assistants (SEN TA) support students with special educational needs (SEN) in the classroom as directed by an SEN teacher in order to help pupils succeed with their learning. You will be working with students aged 14-16 with moderate learning difficulties (MLD) as they access an entry level curriculum based on mainstream education but with an additional emphasis on the skills needed for independent living and preparation for the outside world.
There may be pupils at the high end of the autism spectrum or with cerebral palsy, these students need additional support with their social and academic challenges. Ability levels can vary considerably and many of the students can be challenging, frustrations can manifest themselves in outbursts and occasionally physical aggression. As a result you will need a strong ability to manage challenging behaviour with positive reinforcement and de-escalation.
The SEN School
The post is based ins a special needs school with a Jewish ethos which caters for pupils aged 4 -19 years based in Barnet but welcoming pupils from a much wider area. Staff are not expected to be Jewish and the school is multicultural in terms of staffing, all that is expected is that staff are respectful and sympathetic to the ethos.
This is a very exciting time for the move to a new building which will accommodate 70 pupils and provide a wide range of facilities. Their vision is one of excellence as they aim to provide every pupil with learning opportunities throughout the school day and beyond by challenging and supporting them to make progress.
SEN TA Duties:
- Assisting with pupil's physical needs, including hygiene and feeding, as well as assisting with therapy sessions
- Helping with pupil's school work under the supervision of an SEN teacher
- Helping pupils increase their confidence, self-esteem and independence
- You will be responsible for promoting inclusion, working according to IEPs and advancing learning, allowing the children you will be working with to make positive progress by removing barriers to learning.
The successful SEN TA candidate should:
- Have at least 1 year UK SEN School experience
- Strong ability to manage challenge behaviour with positive reinforcement and de-escalation.
- Have experience with entry levels for pupils with MLD.
- Have knowledge/interest and experience working with Autism/ASD, MLD in an SEN school environment
- Be a patient and positive role model for children
- Knowledge of Entry Levels, ASDAN, MLD, Makaton, Team Teach, SPELL/TEACCH would be an advantage.
- Excellent in work training - including extensive inset training in September
- Opportunity to have teacher training funded by the school
- Good rates of pay
- Friendly supportive environment
- Permanent contract from Easter 2021
If you feel that you meet the requirements for these vacancies then please submit your CV along with a brief supporting statement.