- Primary ASD Class
- Outstanding SEN School
- Inspirational, supportive SLT
- London Borough of Harrow
- Permanent contract
- Good transport links (Northern and Jubilee Line)
- Exceptional Induction and CPD training
- On-site Parking
- Starts September
Are you an experienced Primary or SEN Teacher who is seeking a new opportunity in a special needs environment?
Do you want to work in a truly outstanding Harrow SEN school which boasts exceptional facilities, highly organised teams and exemplary systems?
Does a genuine commitment to investing in your personal and professional growth through CPD and a permanent contract at one of the UK's best special schools appeal to you?
Are you passionate about making a difference and working with children with ASD (Autism)?
This is a primary SEN school in Harrow rated "Outstanding" by OfSTED. It caters for 135 pupils aged 3-11 years with a wide range of complex and profound learning difficulties. These include severe autism, complex medical conditions, physical and mobility difficulties, as well as severe developmental delay.
The school is based in a residential area of Harrow on an outstanding purpose built facility and is run by highly trained, collaborative, enthusiastic and committed staff. This combination enables them to provide the specialised individual programmes required by its pupils. Along with teaching and classroom support staff, the school is supported by a multi-agency team of physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy colleagues, teachers for pupils with vision and hearing impairments and nursing staff.
The SLT have and will continue to invest heavily in training and CPD for staff as this has helped with staff retention and developed an extremely strong skills based within the team. They have fantastic systems in place which are genuinely adhered to and reduce teacher workload through collaboration and the sharing of best practise. As a result the school has a brilliant track record for developing staff - NQTs quickly move to good/outstanding practise, mainstream teachers have a structured induction and make exceptional progress and overseas trained teachers have the support to gain quickly get to grips with the UK curriculum and best practise.
Person Specification - SEN Teacher
An enthusiastic and committed specialist ASD teacher: you will plan, develop, coordinate and implement individual curriculum programmes for students with Autism and related challenging needs. The teacher will be expected to provide a sensory programme, integrating the physical, academic, social and emotional needs of each individual student.
The SEN Teacher will have:
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), after completing a PGCE, Graduate Teaching Program (GTP), Bachelor of Education (B.Ed), QTLS or equivalent overseas teaching qualification
- Previous experience of teaching students with needs, including ASD / Autism, Moderate or Severe Learning Difficulties (MLD, SLD)
- Strong knowledge of the UK national curriculum
- Be able to plan effective and inspiring learning sessions that are multi-sensory and differentiated to meet each child's individual needs
- Be aware of safeguarding procedures and follow best practise procedures
- Be honest, hard-working, reliable and punctual
- Manage the in class team effectively, directing activity and relaying and disseminating information from the SLT to your TAs
- Have the ability to develop rapport with children with complex autism and other related needs
- Be a creative playful, patient, calm and fun presence in the classroom
- Have a clear focus on getting the best learning and pastoral outcomes for children with SEN
- Deal with the physical challenges of the job (occasional running and physical interventions)
- Have experience of Attention! Autism, Intensive Interaction, Team Teach would be advantageous but not essential.
About the Role - SEN Teacher
- You will be responsible for teaching a small class of around 6-12 students with Autism
- You will use a wide range of resources to help each student understand and engage in lessons including PECS and Makaton
- You will have a good basic understanding of TEACCH principles and recent experience teaching primary aged pupils with Autism in an SEN or mainstream setting
- You will have additional support in the classroom from other learning staff.
- You will plan and deliver effective lessons using the UK curriculum.
- Competitive rates of pay.
- Professional support from our expert team of SEN consultants.
- Continued support through all placements via a dedicated consultant
- Free online CPD courses.
- Harrow location
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.