SEN teaching assistant
- 39 weeks per year - term time to include INSET days.
- Full time and permanent position
- Holidays may only be taken during school holidays.
- Monday to Thursday 08:15-4:00pm and Friday 08:15am - 3:30pm with a 30 minute lunch break each day - 37.5 hours per week.
The school is a group of independent specialist day schools, Mitcham, Sutton, Tadworth and Carshalton which provide an appropriate education for primary and secondary aged children and young people who hold a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health & Care plan for an autism spectrum disorder and associated social and communication difficulties. This will include children and young people with moderate or severe learning difficulties.
To carry out all duties, as directed by the class teachers to maximise learning opportunities for all children and young people
- To act as key worker for up to two pupils
- To work with individual children, young people and groups under the direction and planning of the teachers
- On occasions, to work across the school in different classes as required by SLT
- To cooperate with colleagues to ensure the school is a safe, happy and pleasant environment
- To undertake relevant training programmes as and when required by the School
- To work in partnership with colleagues and other professionals to meet the social, emotional, education, health and mental health needs of the children, young people and yourself
- To recognise that people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) can present difficult to manage challenging behaviour, and occasionally necessitates having to physically intervene or remove pupils/students from potentially difficult or hazardous situations in line with their agreed behaviour management programmes and Eagle House Group physical intervention policies. All staff working with pupils/students undertake Team Teach training and these are the only techniques permitted to be used.
- To attend and participate in supervision, performance appraisal and staff meetings as required
- To follow all policies, procedures and guidelines of the school
- To promote good public relations in the locality so as to increase public awareness of and support for the aims and objectives of the school
- To cover the class occasionally in the absence of the Class Teacher
In order to be considered for this role, the LSA / SEN TA will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have experience working with ASD (essential)
- Have experience working with SEN (essential)
- Willingness to undertake personal care tasks (feeding, changing, toileting etc.)
- NQT, experienced UK and/or OS-trained teachers welcome to apply
- Eligible to work in the UK (must have valid visa)
- Recent classroom-based references and valid DBS/police checks