- Special Needs Teaching Assistant (SEN TA)
- Post 16 ASD and MLD
- Excellent School in Zone 3 Barnet
- Minimum 1 Year Assignment
- September Start
- £70 - £85 per day
- Online Interviews ASAP
We are currently working with a fantastic friendly Barnet SEN school which is looking to appoint an SEN Teaching Assistant to join a lovely Post 16 ASD / MLD class from September. The school have been managing a move to a brand new site for September with brand new state of the art facilities alongside the obvious difficulties of the last few months. All of which has left the recruitment of an SEN TA for this lovely class down the agenda. This means however that they are very keen to make an appointment ASAP and are happy to make an appointment based on an online interview.
The SEN Teaching Assistant Job
Special Needs Teaching Assistants (SEN TA) support students with special educational needs (SEN) in the classroom as directed by an SEN teacher in order to help pupils succeed with their learning. You will be working with students aged 16 - 19 with moderate learning difficulties (MLD) as they access the ASDAN curriculum based on the skills needed for independent living and preparation for the outside world.
There may be pupils at the high end of the autism spectrum or with cerebral palsy, these students need additional support with their social and academic challenges. Ability levels can vary and some of the students can be challenging, frustrations can manifest themselves in outbursts and occasionally physical aggression. As a result you will need a strong ability to manage challenging behaviour with positive reinforcement and de-escalation.
The SEN School
The post is based in a Barnet special needs school with a Jewish ethos which caters for pupils aged 4 -19 years based in Barnet but welcoming pupils from a much wider area. Staff are not expected to be Jewish and the school is multicultural in terms of staffing, all that is expected is that staff are respectful and sympathetic to the ethos.
This is a very exciting time for the move to a new building which will accommodate 70 pupils and provide a wide range of facilities. Their vision is one of excellence as they aim to provide every pupil with learning opportunities throughout the school day and beyond by challenging and supporting them to make progress.
Your duties as an SEN Teaching Assistant could include:
- Assisting with pupil's physical needs, including hygiene and feeding, as well as assisting with therapy sessions
- Helping with pupil's school work under the supervision of an SEN teacher
- Helping pupils increase their confidence, self-esteem and independence
- You will be responsible for promoting inclusion, working according to IEPs and advancing learning, allowing the children you will be working with to make positive progress by removing barriers to learning.
The successful SEN Teaching Assistant candidate should:
- Have a minimum of 1 year of experience working in post 16 SEN settings
- Strong ability to manage challenge behaviour with positive reinforcement and de-escalation.
- Knowledge of ASDAN, MLD, Makaton, Team Teach, SPELL/TEACCH would be an advantage.
- Have knowledge/interest and experience working with Autism/ASD, MLD in an SEN school environment
- Be a patient and positive role model for children
- Excellent in work training - including extensive inset training in September
- Opportunity to have teacher training funded by the school
- Good rates of pay
- Friendly supportive environment
- Permanent contract from Easter 2022
If you feel that you meet the requirements for these vacancies then please submit your CV along with a brief supporting statement.
REESON Education is London's Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.
Please note that all daily/hourly rates quoted are inclusive of holiday pay at 12.07%