Year 5 teacher (potential for subject leadership)
Main scale (potential TLR)
Your role at year 5 class teacher will be to take on the teaching of general subjects, in accordance with the School Teachers Professional Standards, to a Year 6 class as well as pastoral and administrative duties in respect of pupils in this class and responsibilities in the school.
A friendly two-form entry school with excellent facilities and transport links into central London, located a short walk from the tube. It is extremely well resourced with excellent facilities including a modern ICT suite, a large playground and bright and airy classrooms. The school was rated 'good' by OFSTED with features of 'outstanding', and has benefitted from a stable leadership team that provide a calm and relaxed atmosphere that strives to meet the needs of all the pupils and the teachers. In addition, there are fantastic opportunities for career progression and continued CPD on offer.
More about the role:
Knowledge and understanding
- Have knowledge of and keep up to date with the Curriculum guidance for Key Stage 2, National Curriculum.
- Understand how pupils' learning is affected by their physical, intellectual, emotional and social development and to understand the stages of child development.
- Be familiar with the school's current systems and structures as outlined in policy documents, including the Health and Safety and Child Protection policies.
- Understand and know how national, local comparative and school data, including National Curriculum test data can be used in professional and school development.
Planning, teaching and class management
- Plan and deliver, with regard for the school's aims, own policies and schemes of work, the teaching programme for all children within the class, using clear differentiation.
- Provide clear structures for lessons and for sequences of lessons, which maintain pace, motivation and challenge.
- Make effective use of assessment information on pupils' attainment and progress and in planning future lessons.
- Ensure effective teaching of whole classes, groups and individuals, establishing high expectations of behaviour and attainment, so that teaching objectives are met.
- Monitor and intervene when teaching to ensure sound learning and discipline and maintain a safe environment in which pupils feel confident.
- Use a variety of teaching and learning styles to keep all pupils engaged.
- Be familiar with the Code of Practice and identification, assessment and support of pupils with SEN.
- Evaluate your own teaching critically to improve effectiveness.
Monitoring, assessment, recording, reporting and accountability
- Assess and record each pupil's progress systematically with reference to the school's current practice, including the social progress of each child and use the results to inform planning.
- Mark and monitor class work and homework, providing constructive feedback and setting targets for future progress.
- Set regular, ambitious yet achievable targets for the children.
- Provide reports on individual progress to the Headteacher and parents as required.
Other professional requirements
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues and parents.
- Participate as required in meetings with professional colleagues and parents in respect of the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Be aware of the need to take responsibility for your own professional development.
- Participate in duty rosters, including taking assemblies.
- Participate in the school's arrangements for performance management and other professional development activities.
- Safeguard the health and safety of all children.
To be eligible for this position you will have a recognised teaching qualification (Bachelor of Education or PGCE) and hold QTS (or be eligible to apply for this). In addition, relevant Key Stage Two (KS2) teaching experience is essential, preferably within a Year 1 or 2 teaching environment. Two references will be sought prior to interview.
For more information about this exciting opportunity please forward an updated CV as soon as possible.