SEN Teacher (Autism/ASD)
- Primary ASD Class
- Outstanding SEN School (OfSTED)
- Inspirational, supportive Head Teacher and SLT
- London Borough of Lewisham
- £160 - £200 daily rate
- Assignment initially to July
- Permanent contract available July 2020 or earlier
- Good transport links
- Exceptional Induction and Continuous in house CPD training
- On-site Parking
- Starts January 2020
- Interviews ASAP
Are you an experienced Primary or SEN Teacher who is seeking a new opportunity in a special needs environment?
Do you want to work in a truly outstanding school which boasts exceptional facilities, highly organised teams and exemplary systems?
Does a genuine commitment to investing in your personal and professional growth through CPD, a friendly and supportive team ethos and the chance to earn a permanent contract at one of the UK's best special schools appeal to you?
Are you passionate about making a difference and working with children with ASD (Autism)?
This is a primary SEN school in Lewisham rated "Outstanding" by OfSTED. It caters for 135 pupils aged 3-11 years with a wide range of complex and profound learning difficulties. These include severe autism, complex medical conditions, physical and mobility difficulties, as well as severe developmental delay.
The school is based in an outstanding purpose built facility and is run by highly trained, collaborative, enthusiastic and committed staff. This combination enables them to provide the specialised individual programmes required by its pupils. Along with teaching and classroom support staff, the school is supported by a multi-agency team of physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy colleagues, teachers for pupils with vision and hearing impairments and nursing staff. Teamwork between all professionals has been an essential aspect of the success of the school.
The SLT have and will continue to invest heavily in training and CPD for staff as this has helped with staff retention and developed an extremely strong skills based within the team. They have fantastic systems in place which are genuinely adhered to and reduce teacher workload through collaboration and the sharing of best practise. As a result the school has a brilliant track record for developing staff - NQTs quickly move to good/outstanding practise, mainstream teachers have a structured induction and make exceptional progress and overseas trained teachers have the support to gain quickly get to grips with the UK curriculum and best practise.
Person Specification - SEN Teacher
An enthusiastic and committed specialist ASD teacher: you will plan, develop, coordinate and implement individual curriculum programmes for students with Autism and related challenging needs. The teacher will be expected to provide a sensory programme, integrating the physical, academic, social and emotional needs of each individual student.
You will have:
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), after completing a PGCE, Graduate Teaching Program (GTP), Bachelor of Education (B.Ed), QTLS or equivalent overseas teaching qualification
- Previous experience of teaching students with needs, including ASD / Autism, Moderate or Severe Learning Difficulties (MLD, SLD)
- Strong knowledge of the UK national curriculum
- Be able to plan effective and inspiring learning sessions that are multi-sensory and differentiated to meet each child's individual needs
- Be aware of safeguarding procedures and follow best practise procedures
- Be honest, hard-working, reliable and punctual
- Manage the in class team effectively, directing activity and relaying and disseminating information from the SLT to your TAs
- Have the ability to develop rapport with children with complex autism and other related needs
- Be a creative playful, patient, calm and fun presence in the classroom
- Have a clear focus on getting the best learning and pastoral outcomes for children with SEN
- Deal with the physical challenges of the job (occasional running and physical interventions)
- Have experience of Attention! Autism, Intensive Interaction, Team Teach would be advantageous but not essential.
About the Role - Autism Teacher (SEN Teacher)
- You will be responsible for teaching a small class of around 6-12 students with Autism
- You will use a wide range of resources to help each student understand and engage in lessons including PECS and Makaton
- You will have a good basic understanding of TEACCH principles and recent experience teaching primary aged pupils with Autism in an SEN or mainstream setting
- You will have additional support in the classroom from other learning staff.
- You will plan and deliver effective lessons using the UK curriculum.
If this sounds like you, and you have the skills, experience and attitude to hit the ground running in this fantastic school then I'd love to hear from you; either you can apply here or contact us directly on 020 3841 0777
- Competitive rates of pay.
- Professional support from our expert team of SEN consultants.
- Continued support through all placements via a dedicated consultant
- Free online CPD courses.